Oliver Kirchkamp is Professor for Empirical and Experimental Economics at University of Jena, fellow of the CESifo Research Network and associate editor of the Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics. He studied economics at Bonn University and finished his studies in 1990 with a thesis on optimal taxation. His Ph.D. on “Evolution and Learning in Spatial Models” was done within the European Doctoral Program in Quantitative Economics at Bonn and the EHESS and DELTA (now PSE) in Paris. In 1996 he went as a Jean Monnet Fellow to the IUE in Florence where he became involved in experimental and behavioural economics. In 1997 he became head of the experimental laboratory at the SFB 504 in Mannheim. He obtained his habilitation in economics in 2001 and, from 2002-2005, substituted a chair for Microeconomic Theory and later one for Macroeconomics and Economic Policy at University of Mannheim. Before he moved to Jena he held a chair for Microeconomics at University of St. Andrews in Scotland. Oliver Kirchkamp is interested in empirical methods, experiments, markets, and auctions.
Publications in journals
- Christoph Engel, Oliver Kirchkamp (2019), “How to Deal with Inconsistent Choices on Multiple Price Lists”, forthcoming at Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization.
- Oliver Kirchkamp, Christina Strobel (2019), “Sharing Responsibility with a Machine”, forthcoming at Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics.
- Oliver Kirchkamp (2019), “Importing z-Tree data into R”, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Finance, Vol. 22, pp. 1-2.
- Serhiy Kandul, Oliver Kirchkamp (2018), “Do I care if the others lie? Current and future effects of delegation of lying”, Journal of Behavioral and Experimental Economics, Vol 74, pp. 70-78.
- Mike Farjam, Oliver Kirchkamp (2018), “Bubbles in hybrid markets — How expectations about algorithmic trading affect human trading”, Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Vol. 146, pp. 248-269.
- Oliver Kirchkamp (2018), “Does a Bounds Approach Help with Selection in Litigation Data?: Comment”, Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics (JITE), Vol. 174(1), pp. 131-136.
- Oliver Kirchkamp, Hiltrud Niggemann (2017), Review of “An Introduction to Stata Programming (2nd Edition)”, by Christopher F. Baum, Journal of Statistical Software, Vol. 77(1), pp. 1-5.
- Werner Güth, Kirsten Häger, Oliver Kirchkamp, Joachim Schwalbach (2016), “Testing Forbearance Experimentally—Duopolistic Competition of Conglomerate Firms”, International Journal of the Economics of Business, Vol. 23(1), pp. 63-86.
- Oliver Kirchkamp, Ulrike Vollstädt (2014), “Bargaining with Two-Person-Groups—How Significant are Patient Partners”, Journal of Economic Behaviour & Organization, Vol. 108, pp. 433-441.
- Marco Faravelli, Oliver Kirchkamp, Helmut Rainer (2013), “The Effect of Power Imbalances on Incentives to Make Non-Contractible Investments”, European Economic Review, Vol. 61, pp. 169-185.
- Robert Böhm, Klaus Rothermund, Oliver Kirchkamp (2013), “Social categorization and group-motivated interindividual—intergroup discontinuity”, European Journal of Social Psychology, Vol. 43(1), pp. 40-49.
- Werner Güth, Oliver Kirchkamp (2012), “Will you accept without knowing what?—A Thuringian newspaper experiment of the Yes-No game”, Experimental Economics, Vol. 15(4), pp. 656-666.
- Oliver Kirchkamp, J. Philipp Reiß (2011), “Out-of equilibrium bids in auctions—Wrong expectations or wrong bids”, Economic Journal, Vol. 121/557, pp. 1361-1397.
- Fabian Bornhorst, Andrea Ichino, Oliver Kirchkamp, Karl H. Schlag, Eyal Winter (2010), “Similarities and differences when building trust: the role of cultures”, Experimental Economics, Vol. 13/3, pp. 260-283.
- Hannah Hörisch, Oliver Kirchkamp (2010), “Less fighting than expected—experiments with wars of attrition and all-pay auctions”, Public Choice, Vol. 144/1, pp. 347-367.
- Michele Bernasconi, Oliver Kirchkamp, Paolo Paruolo (2009), “Do fiscal variables affect fiscal expectations? Experiments with real world and lab data”, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organisation, Vol. 70(1-2), pp. 253-265.
- Oliver Kirchkamp, Eva Poen, J. Philipp Reiß (2009), “Outside options: another reason to choose the first-price auction”, European Economic Review, Vol. 53(2), pp. 153-169.
- Oliver Kirchkamp, Rosemarie Nagel (2007), “Naive learning and cooperation in network experiments”, Games and Economic Behavior, Vol. 58/2, pp. 269-292.
- Oliver Kirchkamp (2006), Review of “Economic Theory and Cognitive Science: Microexplanation”, by Don Ross, Journal of Economics, Vol. 89(1), pp. 85-90.
- Oliver Kirchkamp, Benny Moldovanu (2004), “An experimental analysis of auctions with interdependent valuation”, Games and Economic Behavior, Vol. 48/1, pp. 54-85.
- Christian Dustmann, Oliver Kirchkamp (2002), “The optimal migration duration and activity choice after re-migration”, Journal of Development Economics, Vol. 67, pp. 351-372.
- Oliver Kirchkamp, Rosemarie Nagel (2001), “Repeated game strategies in local and group prisoners' dilemmas experiments: first results”, Homo Ökonomicus, XVIII(2), pp. 319-336.
- Michele Bernasconi, Oliver Kirchkamp (2000), “Why do monetary policies matter? An experimental study of saving and inflation in an overlapping generations model”, Journal of Monetary Economics, Vol. 46, pp. 315-343.
- Oliver Kirchkamp (2000), “Spatial evolution of automata in the prisoners' dilemma”, Journal of Economic Behaviour and Organization, Vol. 43, pp. 239-262.
- Oliver Kirchkamp (2000), Review of “Individual Strategy and Social Structure: An Evolutionary Theory of Institutions”, by H. Peyton Young, The Journal of Artificial Societies and Social Simulation, Volume 3, Issue 4.
- Oliver Kirchkamp (1999), “Simultaneous evolution of learning rules and strategies”, Journal of Economic Behaviour and Organization, Vol. 40/3, pp. 295-312.
Contributions to books
- Oliver Kirchkamp, Rosemarie Nagel (2012), “Naive learning in networks”, Encyclopedia of the Sciences of Learning, ed. Norbert M. Seel, part 14, pp. 2415-2418.
- Oliver Kirchkamp (2009), “Do People Update Beliefs? A Critical Review and Some New Evidence”, Koreferat zum Beitrag von Anja Achtziger und Carlos Alós-Ferrer, in Wolfgang Franz, Werner Güth, Hans Jürgen Ramser, Manfred Stadler, Experimentelle Wirtschaftsforschung, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliches Seminar Ottobeuren (38), Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, pp. 119-124.
- Oliver Kirchkamp, Benny Moldovanu (2008), “An experimental analysis of auctions with interdependent valuation”, in Abdolkarim Sadrieh and Joachim Weimann, Experimental Economics an Germany, Austria, and Switzerland. A collection of papers in honor of Reinhard Tietz, metropolis, Marburg, pp. 499-524.
- Oliver Kirchkamp (2000), “Evolution of learning rules in space”, in Ramzi Suleiman, Klaus G. Troitzsch and G. Nigel Gilbert, Tools and Techniques for Social Science Simulation, Physika Verlag, Heidelberg.
- Oliver Kirchkamp (1996), “Spatial evolution of automata in the prisoners' dilemma—preliminary results”, in K. G. Troitzsch, U. Mueller, G. N. Gilbert, J. E. Doran, Social Science Microsimulation, Springer.
Submitted and under revision
- Oliver Kirchkamp, J. Philipp Reiß, Abdolkarim Sadrieh (2008), “A pure variation of risk in first-price auctions”, under revision at International Economic Review.
- Oliver Kirchkamp, Wladislaw Mill (2018), “Conditional cooperation and the effect of punishment”, submitted to Games and Economic Behavior.
- Oliver Kirchkamp, Wladislaw Mill (2018), “Spite vs. Risk: Explaining overbidding”, submitted to International Economic Review.
Recent Working Papers
- Oliver Kirchkamp, Henning Prömpers (2013), “Discharge of residual debt—Do private and institutional lenders differ?”
- Katharina Eckartz, Oliver Kirchkamp, Daniel Schunk (2012), “How do Incentives affect Creativity?”
- Oliver Kirchkamp, J. Philipp Reiß (2008), “Heterogeneous bids in auctions with rational and markdown bidders-Theory and Experiment”
- Niels Grosse, Oliver Kirchkamp, “Learning from the experiments of others—Simultaneous search and cooperation in R&D and diffusion processes”